The lawyer has been charged with the murder of his client in a case that could be the first time the law has been used to prosecute a journalist.
He has denied any wrongdoing and his lawyer says it is too early to draw any conclusions.
The case comes after the media watchdog the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) released its first-ever list of “disconnected journalists” in 2017, noting that some had “no connection to the media at all”.
The list included journalists who “failed to register as journalists” or “did not declare their professional affiliations”.
But in a new report, IPSO argues that the “disconnect” is more subtle than previously believed, with “at least one journalist” still in the public eye.
The report says that, despite being charged with murder, Mr Zebo “has not been charged for the offence of homicide”, and that his murder was the result of “intentional provocation” by the defendant.
The prosecution has said Mr Zemba “was trying to provoke and kill the defendant”.
“This is an extremely complex case,” IPSO director of investigations Alex Lomax said.
“It is a very complex crime.
In a statement, Mr Lomacx said that the indictment against Mr Zabbo was “an important first step in the process to bring to justice a killer and his accomplices”. “
There is no doubt there are questions about what happened, why it happened, and there is an ongoing investigation into it.”
In a statement, Mr Lomacx said that the indictment against Mr Zabbo was “an important first step in the process to bring to justice a killer and his accomplices”.
“We continue to work closely with our Australian law enforcement partners in the lead up to the court appearance and have a team of investigators, including the police and forensic crime analysts working in our offices in Canberra,” he said.
Mr Zobbo, from Melbourne, was arrested on Friday at his home in South Australia after a lengthy investigation into the death of a man in Adelaide’s west.
The 34-year-old was found with an overdose of hydromorphone in his car on Thursday morning.
The police investigation was “deeply rooted” in his relationship with Mr Zuba, who was living in Adelaide at the time, Mr Gossett said.
Mr Zuba had previously been charged by the police in the death two years ago of Mr Blythe MacPherson, a 26-year old man who was shot to death on the Adelaide-Sydney freeway.
Mr Bylthe’s body was found in a ditch with multiple gunshot wounds.
Mr MacPhersson’s body has never been found.
In its statement, the prosecution says the defendant was not present when the murder took place.
“The prosecution has established that there was no evidence that the defendant intended to cause harm to any person, or that he was aware of the existence of any firearm or other weapons,” it said.
The defence has been able to argue that Mr Zoba had not been present when Mr Zumbas murder occurred, but it will not be able to prove this at the hearing, Mr Tarrant said.
Mr Zebbo was arrested by police at his Adelaide home on Friday morning.
Police have charged him with the second-degree murder of a person over 18 years old. AAP/ABC